Training is a central mission of the Women’s Biobehavioral Health Laboratory; the laboratory provides many opportunities for research and clinical training in the area of midlife women’s health.
Dr. Thurston is a member of three academic departments at the University of Pittsburgh (Psychiatry, Epidemiology, Psychology) and mentors students across disciplines and levels. Dr. Thurston is committed to the highest quality interdisciplinary training in women’s health.
National Institutes of Health Mentoring Award
Dr. Thurston is the Principal Investigator of a K24 award from the National Institutes of Health which supports interdisciplinary training in women’s cardiovascular health research. (Project Portfolio)
Dr. Thurston leads the National Institutes of Health (NIH)-supported Cardiovascular Behavioral Medicine Research Training Program with Dr. Peter Gianaros and is a member of several additional NIH training programs that are designed to support research training.
- Cardiovascular Behavioral Medicine Research Training (T32HL00560; PIs: Thurston and Gianaros)
- Clinical and Translational Research Training in Geriatric Mental Health (T32MH019986; PIs: Reynolds & Aizenstein)
- Cardiovascular Epidemiology Training Program (T32HL083825; PI: Sekikawa)
- Research Training in Diabetes and Endocrinology (T32DK007052; PI: O’Doherty).
- Clinical Research Training for Psychologists (T32MH018269, PIs: Goldstein and Levine)
- Medical Scientist Training Program (T32GM008208, PI: Steinman)
- Institutional Career Development (KL2TR001856; PI: Rubio)
- Training Program in Imaging Sciences in Translational Cardiovascular Research, University of Pittsburgh (5T32HL129964, PI: Villanueva)
- Training in the Epidemiology of Aging, University of Pittsburgh (T32AG000181, PI: Strotmeyer)
Dr. Thurston is a involved in directing and planning several University of Pittsburgh Medical School courses including Women’s Mental Health (PSYC 5531) and Behavioral Medicine (MED 5126).
Dr. Thurston provides supervised training in the midlife women’s health behavioral health care.